Here’s a Great Way to Clean a Smelly Disposal
Forget lemons and costly cleaners. Super cheap salt works the best.
Image: Liz Foreman for HouseLogic
By: Lisa Kaplan Gordon
We’ve tried everything to make our kitchen garbage disposal clean and sweet-smelling, but the best of the best is … salt. Yep, salt.
Here’s how it works:
- Fit a stopper into the sink, and fill with hot water and a squirt of dish detergent.
- Turn on the disposal and let the soapy water drain, pushing gunk down the drain with it.
- Throw 3 or 4 ice cubes and a handful of large-grain salt, such as Kosher, down the drain and run the disposal.
- Flush with water, and you’ve got a clean disposal.
Voila! A fresh-smelling drain!
- 3 Reasons To Sell Your House During the Holidays December 11, 2017
- ‘Yikes!’ 7 Filthy Spots Everyone Sees But You December 5, 2017
- Worth the Wait: Homebuyers Save Thousands in the Off-Season November 28, 2017